Wednesday, January 1, 2014

2014 Resolutions

Ringing in a New Year always calls for everyone making tons of resolutions for the New Year. Will I lose 20 lbs? Will I go on a health kick and eat all organic? Will I not spend a single cent on anything unless I absolutely need it? ummm...heck no to all of those...As much as I would love to be that disciplined I just am not. Life is way too busy for me and I am the master of excuses. Maybe next year right? Haha, I am realistic at this point in my life and right now those things aren't important to me.

Last year in 2013 I had ONE New Years Resolution and that was to live my life centered around God. I decided this one GOAL was more important to me than 15 little goals. Now I had no idea what this goal would even look like or how I would accomplish it but I tried to pray and ask God to show me what he wanted out of me. Did I accomplish this goal? KINDA. I feel like I definitely grew closer to God. He taught me so many lessons about trust and being obedient to Him. I had high expectations for myself in living up to what the Bible says about being a Proverbs 31 woman. Did I succeed? Yes and No. No,  in the fact that I am a sinner and we all fall short. Did I read my Bible every day? No... did I try? Not always...I even started up a devotional and quit twice... but it's okay...it's more progress than I have ever made. Did I lose my temper with Drew or Raegan? Yes...and I feel bad for it and it's okay because I am still learning about being a better wife and a better mother... Did I do a fantastic job of keeping the house clean and putting dinner on the table most nights? Nope...ultimate fail: haha...Dishes in the sick, my office is a disaster from all my crafts and storage issues (not any more by the way), old bins of clothes in Raegan's room that needed to be sorted, a garage that look like a tornado hit it (that my husband and I finally DID sort and organize tonight), laundry hampers over flowing, clothes and toys all over the floors and yep we probably ate drive thru way too many times a WEEK but you know  what...that's okay! I am  totally okay with that. We have a roof over our head, food in our tummies, and I am okay knowing I am not the "perfect" mommy or wife and I am okay with that because I know that I am perfect for MY family. I am the best I can be for Drew, Raegan and myself. And that's perfectly okay with me because I am not worried about what anyone else expects out of me or heck what I expect out of me. I am worried about what God expects out of me. Sure I need some work, but don't we all have things we need to work on???? So in this aspect I did do BETTER at living a Christ centered life. I prayed with Raegan daily. We read her Bible, I prayed over my friends, my family, my coworkers, my husband, my child. I did a few things outside my comfort zone like letting go. Letting go of me and letting God take control over so many situations: like a job, our $, my marriage, my baby, my friends. So many things I needed to let go of and I am sooo glad GOD is STILL at work in me.

THIS YEAR...well this year in 2014 I want to continue to put God at the center of my life. I can never go wrong with this as my focus each year.

I would of course love to become debt free. Ever since I read Dave Ramsey's book 3 years ago that has been our goal. We had started 3 years ago his snowball effect and we had a plan but we had a few beautiful curve balls thrown at us like realistic budgeting, and having our beautiful baby girl so we got off track with our original plan. But even though we got off track we still continued to work on paying off debt. We paid off all of Raegan's hospital bills, her surgery, furniture for the house, some of my student loans, all of Drew's student loans, and of course paying down on things like our vehicles and a few other things we had thrown at us here and there which I think is pretty good when you consider we had a baby and had to pay for all the things needed to care for our little one including childcare. I know we won't become debt free over night or even in the year 2014, but I sure am going to work towards it. My hope and goal THIS YEAR is that we can pay off both our vehicles. Next year work on my student loans from my masters degree and then the following years to come work on paying off the house. Gotta start somewhere right? But of course my main goal is just to have enough money to pay all our bills and RG's outrageous preschool fees (it's more than my house payment, but if I HAVE to work, she WILL be in the best care) and have some leftover to save, pay off debt, and enjoy life a little. BABY STEPS!

My other attainable goal is to read the bible daily. I always ALWAYS struggle with this. Once I skip a day it is sooo sooo hard for me to catch back up...I have tried books, apps, just my Bible and paper and pen....but I always seem to fail. SOOOO in 2014 I will try again. At least I already read Day 1 earlier today! :) Step one...DONE!

Of course I would also love to...

1.become more self-disciplined
2.be a better time manager
3.read a book for ME
4.read a professional book of my choosing
5.make a meal plan and STICK TO IT!
6.get Raegan potty trained
7. get in SHAPE, would love to work with a personal trainer ONE DAY!
8. eat healthier (I am such a junk food junkie)
9. and maybe just maybe get pregnant with Baby #2 this year
(and NO before you even ask we aren't trying yet, and no you shouldn't ask when we are, because only God will know when that blessing and time will come. You really shouldn't ask a couple when they are going to have a baby EVER rather it's kid #1 or kid #2 or kid #7 (I have been guilty of this too). You just don't ask because you don't know if they are trying and have been trying and unsuccessful  or other factors are keeping them from trying, or whatever personal reasons they care to share or not share, just keep your comments to yourself. It's insensitive! I say that because too many of my friends are trying for baby #1 and I hate it when someone they barely know asks them when they are going to start a family most of the time it upsets them...please don't remind them of the pain... you don't know how many months or years they have been trying and well of course they WANT a family they just haven't been blessed with a family YET. So don't ask someone you just met or kinda know unless well you are prayer warrior because well then pray them up a baby PLEASE! Friends will tell friends if they want them to know if they are trying. And honestly I am tired of people asking Drew and I when we are going to have baby #2. Like we can just create a baby in thin air? We will have baby #2 when and if (hopefully) God allows us to. We certainly want to expand our family and want Raegan to have a sibling(s), just want that in God's timing, not your timing or our timing. I mean look at Raegan who wouldn't want more blessings like her?! We sure do! People always say to me "you don't want too big of age gaps"... umm who cares? Not me... anyway have y'all met Raegan??? God must know she (or mommy and/or daddy) can't handle a sibling(s) right NOW...ha! But anyway I can't wait for God to expand our family in HIS perfect timing! Raegan will be the perfect big sister ONE DAY! Oh goodness...sorry I went off on a tangent. Just be considerate when asking that question and if it's truly YOUR business to ask. End rant on this subject)

But anyway that little above list is just a list of things I would like to do...not really goals, not really resolutions, just a list of things I WANT...

My real goal and only goal this year is just to continue GROWING IN Christ and read my BIBLE EVERY DAY and honestly pay off both our vehicles this year.  That's truly more than enough isn't it?


Will I succeed in all my hopes and dreams this year? Maybe, and maybe not. But you know what the important thing is? I tried. I will be on a cloud 9 high at times this year and at other times my friends and family will have to pick me up out of the hole I am in and just comfort me and pray with me. And you know what? That's okay too because we all have to live, learn, and grow. I know I always grow at my weakest moments. Each year we can have hopes and dreams and we have failures and you know what there will be light at the end of the tunnel, a rainbow after the rain...and well that my friends is all I can hope for. The hope I have to be a better me, a better wife, a better mother, a better teacher, a better follower of Christ. I will put all my trust in the Good Lord and keep on living my life the best I know how and hopefully as much as I can possibly contain my flesh, live a life centered around God's word.

God bless you all my sweet friends. I wish you a year full of many blessings centered around God's love!

1 comment:

  1. Great goals and I read it all, even the tangent, LOL, very well said my friend!!

    ReplyDelete