Friday, January 14, 2011

Challenge #2: In Usefulness

In my previous post I gave you the first challenge that was proposed to me at church Sunday....


Below is the 2nd challenge...

2. In usefulness
-2 Timothy 2:21
 "Therefore, if anyone cleanses himself from what is dishonorable, he will be a vessel for honorable use, set apart as holy, useful to the master of the house, ready for good work"


In the book that I read, A Voice in the Wind, Hadassah time again proved to be useful. She was useful to her master and useful to God. Although, she was later forbidden to worship in a secret Christian church, when she did attend, she was useful by her voice. Hadassah was a great singer and served her church through her voice. She was also useful to her master, by knowing her needs and attending to everything that she could in the main house.

I think about how useful am I? How am I useful to God? How am I useful to my church? How am I useful to those around me?


I know it can be so hard. We get so wrapped up in our work, our families, our lives. We sometimes forget that we are supposed to be serving someone way more powerful than ourselves...God.


Growing up, I was very active in my church. I used to love helping in the nursery. And I adored helping with Vacation Bible School during the summer. Anything to do with kids, I loved. That was my way to be useful in my church.


However, as I have gotten older, and we now attend Shandon. I know I am not useful. I go...I attend (most Sundays) but I know I am not as useful as I can be. Drew and I have helped with child care a few Sundays, but not consistently. This is something I know I need to work on. I don't just want to "sit on the premises" as Dr. Bouknight preached on Sunday. I want to be present. I want to be useful. It's time to step it up...I know I fall short, so if you feel like you do too, than know your not the only one. ;)


I guess my biggest problem is that I attend a large church. Shandon is quite large. My Sunday school is quite large. So I need to find my niche...I'm praying about it, just need to research my options... :)


How are you useful in church? Do you just attend? Do you just sit on the premises? I challenge you to become more involved in your church this year. You can do it! Find something of interest, or talent. Talk to some people and pray. God will answer!


As I think about challenging you to be more useful in church, I would also like to challenge you to  be more useful in all that you do. How can you be more useful at work? How can you be more useful to your spouse? How can you be more useful to your kids? How can you be more useful to your friends? The questions could go on and on. I think you get my point. :) Think about different ways you can be useful in church and in your life!


Good luck my friends! I know you can meet this challenge! Be useful my friends!


As always be blessed!

No comments:

Post a Comment